Laws of the United States Relating to the Improvement of Rivers and Harbors
In response to section 2004 of the Water Resources Development Act of 2007, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has prepared this set of products to update to the “Compilation of Laws” of the United States relating to the improvement of rivers and harbors and other water resources development purposes as specified in the Act.
The first product is a compilation of laws enacted after November 8, 1966. This volume is newly compiled, and includes laws through the year 2010. This volume is provided electronically in two forms, both of which are fully text-readable and searchable. Like its predecessors, only the portions of the laws pertinent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) have been included in the volume.
The second set of products consists of a complete electronic reproduction of all historic volumes (including index documents) covering laws dating from 1790 to 1966. Each of the historic volumes has been digitally scanned in its entirety, and is searchable within Adobe Acrobat Reader due to the advanced capabilities of optical character recognition.
The complete set of files is listed below:
- General Provisions Annotated. August 11, 1790 - March 4, 1913
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors Volume 1: August 11, 1790 - February 17, 1897
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors Volume 2: February 17, 1897 - March 4, 1913
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors Volume 3: June 23, 1913 - January 2, 1939
- Laws of the United States Relating to the Improvement of Rivers and Harbors General Index: August 11, 1790 - January 2, 1939
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors, January 2, 1939 - October 22, 1966
- Compilation of 1966-2010 Water Resource Public Laws
Tips for use:
- Copying the files to a hard drive is recommended, since the files are large and can be slow running from the internet
- Navigating the linked "1966-2010" file with the interactive Table of Contents is easier if you know how to return to the table of contents from any subordinate page. To do this, right-click mouse and select "previous view;" or from the keyboard type Alt Left Arrow for previous page. Either method may require several clicks since the process is an incremental back-step, not a direct return to the TOC.